Sunday, January 17, 2016

Feels Like Home

With the wedding behind us, we completed all scheduled calendar events and could begin making it up as we go by picking any direction to travel.  I mentioned the FamCamp at Ft Benning, GA and that is where we headed. As we passed through Ft Mitchell, AL on the way to the Uchee Creek Army Campground, I had a strong sense I had been here before, but wasn’t quite sure.  We found the campground back in the woods on a creek that feeds into the Chattahoochee River.   The roads are wide and the campground is very large with open space between each level site.  The hook ups are modern, the Wi-Fi was strong, the restroom/laundry facilities were spotless and it only cost $20 per night on the weekly rate.  They have boat rentals with access to the Chattahoochee River and an archery range. This campground has the best facilities we have seen in our travels so far.  We set up and I made a campfire that evening.  I could hear the familiar sound of gunfire and helicopters in the distance.  Combat is a young man’s game and I smiled knowing our Nation’s best were out there learning how to “take the joy out of jihad.” 

The next day, I took the Jeep back to the place I told Pattie I thought I remembered.  I drove down the abandoned trail to a river crossing and realized this was the place that 34 years earlier I had been hurt on an ROTC Ranger exercise.  I parked and hiked back into the woods recalling the mock battle and found the ravine where I fell dislocating my knee and breaking part of my femur.  The distances were much further than I recall and we had traveled those distances with full combat gear!  Indeed, a young man’s game. 

We took time to replenish our supplies from the commissary and shopped at the PX.  I registered my firearms on post and joined the recreational shooting club.  The range officers are pleasant and run a well-disciplined range.  I was able to practice my skills that have become a bit rusty.  I guess I will need to return here often to practice.  We also visited the National Infantry Museum. This is a new interactive museum that takes you through the US military's infantry history.


In the evening, we would walk through the park or take our bikes for a ride. The campground has about 400 spots as well as cabins.  They have plenty of things for kids to do like playgrounds and pools, but this time of the year there were very few people to be seen.  They have a large activities center and I noticed a sign proclaiming Oktoberfest.  I asked about it at the office and they said it was their largest event each year and the only time the park is filled to capacity.  We made reservations on the spot for next October! 



After a week, we headed over to Auburn, AL where our sons are attending college and we have our things in storage.  A climate-controlled unit became available, so we moved items we had previously identified for climate control to that unit and rearranged our basic unit.  On the day it rained, we went to our son’s place to do laundry and spent the day cleaning up a bit.  I will spare you the details. 

A little bit about full-time RV living…

The Bus now feels like home.  The view outside the windows changes; but inside, we are comfortable in our surroundings.  We have been living in the The Bus for eight months and have learned a great deal about the different systems that seemed overwhelming at first. For instance, the AquaHot supplies all our hot water and heat using an electric element and diesel burner boiler system.  When it works, it is great.  When it is 25 degrees outside and it turns itself off at 2am, not so great.  In our last blog entry, we mentioned that the technicians at Tiffin’s service center worked on the AquaHot system for a week trying to determine why it shuts down at random.  They replaced key components, but we are still having the same problem.  Through the Internet, I found several experts with one in Houston eager to help.  We may head that way after assisting with my mother’s surgery toward the end of January.


Until next time, thanks for keepingupwiththejonesrv!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're enjoying your new lifestyle, hope our paths will cross somewhere on the road this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look on the aqua hot web site, they list all their school trained techs, last time I looked no one at Tiffin was on the list. Richard

    ReplyDelete